- // The knowledge of the century is that adults today face an identity crisis, REGULARLY. Who has not done it? We log onto our Instagram or Facebook and find the wealth of comparison that thrives on these platforms. In the same way that social media can act as a tool to develop and encourage individuals to step into a greater potential, this outlet can easily be misconstrued as a hole filled with doubt, never enough-ness, and self-scrutiny.
- // You feel under-educated, under-qualified, and quite frankly under some serious pressure to finally measure up, ironically. Sometimes, I find myself stalking the very people that make me feel insecure about who I am to fill this absurd, self-satisfying urge to discover how I am not making the mark, just so that I can do the opposite, believing I will become more like them. Here's the problem, nothing about this is truly transformative. The temporary fix that comes from trying to mimic the unique traits of someone else, wears off in the tiredness of keeping up an image, and soon there after, true personality returns. This trend cycles and recycles every time we come face to face again, with the very thing that breeds our insecurity.
- // The beauty of Jesus is that He is the only truly transformative power that exists on this earth. I struggled writing this piece because I found myself in the thick of attempting to claim my identity. Earlier in the year, I spoke about identity at an event and found a new discovery that is told throughout scripture. Your identity is not that you are a good leader or singer, because those are all things that can honestly change as your life unfolds. No identity thief can steal your citizenship in Heaven, and still, no identity thief can steal your Father, the maker of the universe, from you. There is no Instagram post, job loss, disappointment, failure, or changing of careers that can change the core of your being, a child of the one true king; this is your defining characteristic.
- // I found that as I started praying John 3:30 over my life, "He must increase; I must decrease," I have started to begin a journey into loving the life Jesus created for me, while seeking His purpose over where I am supposed to be. In the same breath of speaking this verse over my life, I found that my best self was being accomplished in this season because I started living in exactly what set me apart. I may not be someone who can naturally look for the needs of someone in the room or search out the specific ways that someone may need encouragement, but I have God-given tendencies and gifts. I have found that once we live in the fullness of who God designed us to be, we step into the ministry that God has set before us. As a reminder, Jesus can always develop the things that we are not gifted with, but it does not cheapen the value in our specific skill-set. If you are gifted with confidence, walk in confidence about God's promise when others are not. If you are gifted with encouragement, speak over the ways that other's are living out God's design, even when they may not believe it. Who you are is beautiful, and your royalty in Heaven gives you immeasurably more authority on this Earth in Jesus' name to speak truth, walk in love, and forgive other people. Claim your royalty, abide in your royalty.
No comments:
Post a Comment